Monday 3 June 2013

Incredible INDIA - Part Three

Magical Rishikesh - Week 5 :)


Almost at the final Rishikesh installment which is so super sad for me. I want to pull the hand brake up and slow down every day, second hour, minute and second and cherish everything about this magical place.

I am so content here, so safe and happy. It has become exactly like my Bermuda bubble was for me. My bedroom is finally all set up as if I were to stay there forever, I have a book case, decorations on the wall, a fully functioning wardrobe and most of all I have my Rishikesh routine! I, like lots of my girlfriends here, are more than a little scared about how we will feel when we leave and hit the 'real world' again. How will we keep the magic alive that we have learnt in Rishikesh? Will we be able to overcome life's challenges? Will we be able to make time for meditation, for our yoga practice, pranayama in the same way we did here? Will we be strong enough to make Roshan's wise words "yoga is everything" become our everyday reality without him or our other teachers, or even each other around to encourage us. Rishikesh has changed us all...


It has, once again, been a crazy madly intense week. Some of it has been life changing, some of it magical, some of it heart breaking, and always always offering lessons in life as a direct result of each experience or emotion felt along the way.

Week 5 started off on such a positive and then such an immediate low for me. I woke up early on Monday morning to wish my friends in Bermuda "Good Luck" for the Boston Marathon that day. The time difference meant that I had plenty of time to catch them all before the race. Later that day I checked facebook for news, and all I could see was the horror of the status updates amongst friends trying to frantically locate all of the Bermuda group in Boston. A friend, Suzie, had written on my wall "I hope that your friends are ok Caroline..." and my cousin, Chelsey, had sent me a note to similar effect to check that I had heard from all of my friends in Boston. A quick google later brought me to immediate tears when I realised that several bombs had gone off metres from the finish line of Boston Marathon.

Not only that, but at the time when over 50% of runners would have been coming through the finish line so not only the majority of runners affected but also a high majority of supporters. Panic set in, and I worked my way through peoples facebook pages and pieced together that fortunately everyone that I knew was together, and well. One girl only for the sheer fact that she stopped mid race for the toilet... Awful, devastating news.  So grateful for the luck shown to my friends for their good health. So upset for all of those innocent people showing support in the crowd. Devastated for those athletes who in good faith spent anywhere between 3-6 months of their lives training hard, devoting their heart and soul to their race, who lost limbs or even worse their lives or loved ones lives.


This news affected me far more than I had thought it would and for many weeks afterwards. The whole aim of my marathon training season in 2012 had been to quality for this amazing marathon. Boston Marathon is the one we all aspire to be good enough, fast enough, strong enough to compete for a place. Sadly, injury saw me fall 9 minutes short of qualifying for a place otherwise without a doubt I would have been there too. The chances of all of my friends being completely 100% ok is a miracle to me. What were the odds of that? So grateful.

I found the quote above on facebook which made me snap out of my depression, and turn my negative thinking about how cruel life could be into a positive. Damn right the bastards picked the wrong group of people to mess with. Marathoners are trained for ENDURANCE. We are tough. We won't be knocked down that easily.


The next morning I came across another old favorite quote of mine. Purpose. Again damn right, and it hit home immediately. I had woken up feeling a bit flat and lethargic. I took myself for a run to energise myself and loved every second of it. It was hard and fast, hilly and tough in 35 degree Rishikesh heat. But I reminded myself how lucky I was to be out there with my health and well being after the tragedy that affected so many in Boston yesterday. Live life people, enjoy every second it has to offer ♥ No more mourning, just appreciating every second we have on this planet.


The next day found me teaching my first flow yoga class in Rishikesh. My examination class!! The part I had strangely been both super excited about completing and terrified of at the same time. As part of my YTT 300 examination I have to teach a 90 minute class to a large group of the YTT 200 students.  I had never taught such a large class before (35 plus), nor in such a long and spacious room. Life was sending me a lesson to prove I could cope! It was so much fun, and there was so much positive energy in the room :) I just loved it SO much. I got such lovely feedback at the end of the class, and hugs and questions and made what felt like a zillion new friends amongst the YTT yogi family.  It truly made me realise just how much I miss teaching. I had expected to be nervous and it just felt like coming home instead. Good times!! We even had a visit from a monkey during the class which loosened some tension.  Love the Life I Live :) I am so lucky. Made me miss my Bermuda class of regular students too, you would have been proud of me - wish you could have joined in and been part of my class! I hope that one day I can come back and teach you all that I have learnt here in India. I just have the exam paper, and the 90 minute workshop to present to my fellow YTT 300 hour yogis next week left, and then I have completed the course!!!!!!!

During the planning of our classes, we all wanted to find the perfect quote to share. The piece that summed up how we felt about all that we had learnt and all that we wanted to become, and share with our students. With a little helping hand, I came across the following quote which I just love. I got such wonderful feedback from the YTT 200 students after hearing it that I wanted to share it in my blog for you.

Desiderata (Latin: "desired things" in a 1927 pose poem by American writer Max Ehrmann.

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons that yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many tears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy".





While everyone was teaching their exam classes we were lucky enough to have Narandra teaching us! Brother of Jeet - brother that taught Jeet everything he knows. I was excited...and with very good reason as every evening was so, so awesome! We went from fast, traditional hatha, sun salutations to experimenting with forearm stands, scorpion, handstands, compass, side crow modifications, serious backbends to gentle floor work....so much fun! I got into fallen angel for the first time properly too :) Kick ass teacher giving us awesome tips along the way to get the best out of our practice each and every night. THIS was what I had hoped for all the way through the YTT 300 program, and am delighted to have at least received some of this training in my final two weeks. I would love to come back and train one on one with Narandra. The things I would learn in just one month of dedicated practice ♥





On April 21st, a group of my Bermuda running friends got to the start line of the London Marathon. I was nervous for them, and kept my phone with me the whole day checking every second that I could that nothing bad happened and wishing them all the luck and love in the World on what would be a mentally and physically tough day for them. They all did amazingly and the World was a happy place again :) So proud of their strength xx


A motto so many of my friends can relate to and live by every day of their lives.  I like to think that I surround myself with people who get out there and live, they take every opportunity they can and throw themselves full speed into whatever they are doing. We ARE adventurers ;) Certainly my friends don't let a day go by when they are not out there running, cycling, swimming or a bit of all three, along with traveling the globe, raising their families, planning how to make their daydreams come true and enjoying life <3 

The pace of YTT picked up full speed during this week as everyone suddenly realised that we had to teach, present our workshops, assist in other peoples classes, finish designing our exam sequences, and completing our exam papers.  It led to intense study sessions, in super cool cafes, cramming over books, internet pages and classroom notes to complete everything in time. Was always good fun though - especially the day in Health Cafe when the owner played The Beatles in the background for us, and we were able to have a little sing song along with the music to break up the monotony of studies!!


As time went on, we realised it was almost time to say our goodbyes so a lot of time was spent trying to fit in the studies, experiencing everything that we could in our final weeks in Rishikesh, and enjoying each others company! We were exhausted physically and emotionally but we would not waste a second of our time here!! Week 5 meant that Amanda, Danielle and I could also change our nose rings soon. This was exciting as we all had bent bits of silver in a circle like shape through our noses lol. We took a trip to Rishikesh market to buy some nose bling, and work out the situation with saris for our graduation next week! On our way to the market, we came across possibly the biggest cow we had seen during our entire stay on the Ram Jhula bridge - hilarious! Obviously in true India fashion, everything else in the world had to move around the cow as once it sat down it owned that piece of land until it decided to move! A hard task as this was so huge, and had chosen the middle of the bridge as its chosen spot!


We spent ages and ages at the market looking at the selections of gold and silver jewellery for our noses! There were SO many Indian women in each of the stores buying jewellery, we couldn't believe it and had to wait ages to get even remotely close to the glass counters. THIS is where all the women of Rishikesh have been hiding lol - all we ever see is men everywhere as the norm.  The women found us incredibly curious creatures when we were looking, but we didn't care we were too focused on the potential nose bling! Gold is so cheap in India it is just amazing, and you can understand why so many women are decorated so heavily in their jewels. 


On our final free day together, we organised a girls day and had a huge breakfast at Ganesh, a Rishikesh greasy spoon equivalent with the most amazing paratha ever! We had coconut and banana paratha, amongst a tonne of other delicious foods. The owner was so happy to see us and insisted on photos with us, and playing with the pics to see which were the best ones haha! Afterwards we took ourselves to The Beatles Ashram for our final trip together, and for a super cool photo shoot! After having to break in over the wall, as it was locked up, and eventually avoiding the Indian boys who decided to follow us initially, we found ourselves heading to the Music Hall where The Beatles wrote most of their White album. Then to the roof of the building where they slept during their stay in the Ashram. The view up there is just spectacular, you can see for miles on a clear day. We took turns to take yoga photos before we all melted in the increasingly hot, hot, hot Rishikesh weather.  On top of this roof is where the 365 Day Handstand Challenge series of photos began (read next blog for details!!). The first of 365 days of handstands is shown below - me on top of the Rishikesh World with the biggest smile on my face :)




Can't believe that I am 5 weeks into my 6 week YTT 300 hour course....such an amazing time, so many happy memories and have learnt so many amazing yoga and life skills that I will carry with me for the rest of my life!

Feeling grateful ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment