Tuesday 28 May 2013

Incredible INDIA - Part Two

Magical Rishikesh - Week Three and Four :)



Life in Rishikesh continues every day, and every day I am smiling :) I love this place just as much as the first week, perhaps even more so actually. With every day that passes I discover something new and captivating which holds my interest in this crazy little town even more.  

It's been an insanely action packed two weeks so sit tight and I will try not to bore you too much with the details….. ;)

Each time I walk along town or into Laxman Jhula I am finding new places to eat and chill out.  Freedom Bar and Paradise Cafe are a couple of examples of places along the river which fantastic views, I can walk there and just sit alone and absorb the positive energy and view and people watch for hours. Such a happy place. Little Buddha is the same, though normally a little busier.  Each time I try a new smoothie, or shake. I even managed to get the guy in Paradise to make me a smoothie like I would make at home with milk, peanut butter, banana and a shot of coffee.

Yesterday I found an amazing juice bar. If you had blinked you would have walked straight past it and not known that it was there. A tiny little shack on the main street hidden outside by plants and people standing around. When you looked closely you realized that inside there was a man with a huge blender and an even bigger selection of fresh fruits. His fridge and freezer were stocked to the brim with ice, fresh and frozen fruit and veg and the blender went non stop.  So many different combinations for less than $1 a glass.  I tried the power green monster first, and have since tried the apple, mint and pineapple, then beets, apple, carrot and ginger.  Too many choices for someone as indecisive as me lol!! 




There were road trips which took me to new places within Rishikesh and beyond. I rode on the back of a scooter with the wind in my hair, all day long with awesome people to better explore the area! Special times. There were waterfalls, new adventures, adopting of a dog called Jacob (Rupert), fun yoga poses on rocks, and a beautiful beach hidden away from the world above us. There was even a rescue mission as a white water raft tipped people out into the rapids. I joined friends to explore Pauri for the day, a small town about 3 hours east of Rishikesh. The town itself was reminiscent of Cinque Terra in Italy from a distance, with THE MOST incredible view of 7 snow topped Himalayan peaks. We explored some nearby temples and took lots of photos. The search for food was amusing, the fact that we were only 4 of 6 foreigners in the town even more so, and the women's interest in my anklet kind of puzzling… The scenery during our drive was stunning and once again India made me smile happily to myself and the World. The drive itself was slightly insane - dodging cows, pigs, monkeys, donkeys, people, dogs, and landslides. One road sign read - "No race, no rally, enjoy the beauty of the valley". India never ceases to amaze me with it's beauty, and how quickly these crazy things feel comfortingly like the norm :)




I also started and completed my Reiki Level One course with friends last weekend. That was a fantastic experience, one that I went into unsure what to expect or whether I would feel anything. I did, and it felt amazing and I loved sharing it on my friends also as I learnt more and more. Now I just need to keep practicing to keep it fresh!!



As with all wonderful adventures, there are always goodbyes along the way. Charley and Cat left Rishikesh.  It has been so awesome having those girls around and sharing the Rishikesh experience with them. I have learnt so much about myself through my experiences here and in Rishikesh. I guess since I started traveling really.  I know instantly who I am going to get along with, and build strong, fast, wonderful friendships. During this week something happened that made me want to scream, and instead of actually screaming I turned and spoke to the girl who I have been sitting next to in class all this time. Instant smiles, what a wonderful coincidence how well we clicked, amazing times to be had and firm friends made. I found myself with two new friends as a result, who I got along with just brilliantly and who I know will be in my world forever.  The wonderful Lauren appeared also, and I found our frequent breakfast catch ups so much fun and so nice to click with someone so easily and comfortably.  I am totally coming to visit her in Saipon during my travels! She rocks. I feel as though I have known these girls for many lifetimes, as crazy as that may sound. They are such easy friendships, and so familiar to me. Love <3 


The course continues to amaze me, test me and teach me new things every single day. I can't remember the last time I learnt so many things all at once, I am terrified that if I stop paying attention for just one second something valuable will slip away and I won't hold onto it forever like I want to.  I can't wait to get back into the big bad world and teach yoga again, share everything that I am learning with everyone!! So much information, so much to share :) Love, love, love Rishikesh and this course. My body is exhausted but my mind has never been happier. Each day I am practicing yoga for at least 3-4 hours.  I have my standard classes as part of the course - gentle hatha in the morning, personal practice in the afternoon and evening asana or meditation.  


In addition to this I have been introduced to the wonderful Jeet :) Awesome, awesome guy.  I see him once a day for an additional personal practice of either assist in hatha yoga or ashtanga.  I am in love with the practice and the dedication to perfection of each pose. I have never hurt so much or felt my strength building so quickly before. It's inspiring beyond belief. Such a great teacher.  I also have started to go to some external classes as well. So many amazing teachers in this town, not enough hours to absorb all of the experiences that I would like to have here. The only thing for it - is that I must come back to Rishikesh ;) I am so excited to be learning so many new things in India!! Our yoga philosophy classes continue to drive me crazy with an intense enthusiasm to constantly learn more, clear more space in my mind to retain everything that Roshan says to us.  So inspiring. Who knew I would be so excited about things beyond the physical side of yoga when I arrived here. 

Faraaz taught us a very cool tai chi with yoga combo this week, which I will definitely be incorporating into my practice. My thighs were on fire the whole time, and I literally couldn't move the next morning as a result of gentle swaying movements which trick your body into thinking there isn't that much muscular work involved at all ;) They are called Warrior, Flying Dragon and Golden Seed if you want to google them :)


I tried acro yoga for the first time last week with Rima and Ali, on the beach beside the Ganga. I loved it, so much fun! I really want to try and find time to become a regular while I am in Rishikesh. So many things I would like to do, so little spare time. 



Our first two weeks of the course was ridiculously intense and because of Holi celebrations we didn't get a day off in 14 days which was killer.  But after 14 days straight of 5:30am alarm calls, I celebrated my first day off well with breakfast with friends in a super chilled cafe, walk through town and silver jewellery shopping, fresh fruit, mint tea, mango juice, orange juice, lemon and mint juice, freshly roasted peanuts, dumplings, watching people swim in the Ganges River, walking through the chaos of town on a Sunday, stroking a cow to get head butted in return, avoiding the touch of a nasty group of boys who found it insanely funny to dare each other to touch my arm, then hiding out in another super chilled cafe with tea and writing postcards, my journal and reading Shantaram. Love this book :) Followed by a welcome ceremony at the ashram for the YTT 200 hour new joiners, dinner with friends, playtime with the puppies, easter chocolate and sleep. I fell gratefully into bed that evening!


In between the busy schedule I started to find time to run a little bit. Today we ran through the Beatles Ashram which was very cool! I am not sure on the distance or how fast it was but it felt great to stretch my legs and get a cardio workout in. Yoga practice and meditation are totally awesome but man have I missed my adrenaline fix. Yep, this girl is incapable of sitting still lol!


That said, I tricked myself into thinking that after 3 weeks of not getting sick while everyone else dropped around me, that I was invincible. It wasn't the case…. for whatever reason, exactly 3 weeks into the YTT 300 course it was my turn to be sick. When I say sick, read sicker than I have ever, ever, ever in my life been.  I wasn't sure I would ever recover. It was insanely horrible, and if I had had the energy to cry I would have cried for the duration.  It was like life before sickness and life after sickness for us all - and we all lived in fear of it coming back, which it invariably did with all of us at some point.  It became totally normal to discuss poo and vomit like we were discussing our favorite foods every time you saw someone. It was hilarious really! My least favorite time of my whole trip so far. Never felt so mentally and emotionally drained.  

I am so, so grateful to everyone on the YTT 300 program for taking such wonderful care of me! Clare and Rebecca for pushing me back into bed at 6am and making me sweat it out, Rebecca dancing and singing for me, Nichole for bringing me breakfast, lunch and dinner, water, snacks, big hugs and back rub when I felt such discomfort, Rima and Ali for your love, and hourly check ins, the probiotics and electrolytes, and party in my room when I was missing the real one, Ash for bringing the party to me, keeping me company, and the sunset, Ashley for offering to find me a Dr, Kayla for your concern and regular check ins and yummy tea, Kelly, Danielle and Amanda for your lovely emails. Feeling so grateful for that love. A horrible 24 hours, but made so much more bearable by everyone's awesomeness! My rishikesh family :)


Oh I nearly forgot! As soon as I got better I got my nose pierced!! Amanda and Danielle told me it wouldn't hurt so I didn't have a care in the World when I walked into the shop. Amanda turned to me and said "ok so do you want me to hold your hand?". I was like "why, it's going to hurt isn't it?" She gave me a guilty smile and said "yes, I cried the whole time". Jesus! So I sat there like a total baby and held her hand while the lady forced a piece of silver through my nose. She then instructed Danielle to feed me the fresh coconut that she had in her hand asap!! Memories of being force fed biscuits straight after having my ears pierced as a child came flooding back haha! Clearly I went as white as could be ;) 


Ahh smiles :):) I have to keep pinching myself. I'm in India, with cool, cool people doing yoga, learning every day, exploring new places and feelings, getting chai, drinking and eating fresh fruit and juices, chilling in cafes with mint tea, smiling every day! Life is good :) And my friend just told me that Nepal is even more chilled out than Rishikesh! Trying to stay in the moment but briefly so excited that life gets even better than this moment right now. I am SO lucky. Truly believe every change in life happens for a reason. Love how the craziness of India just blends into part of my normal routine here. How will I ever leave Rishikesh?!? 

I've not been this relaxed or happy in forever! Caroline heaven!!x

My favorite quote of all time right now:

"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience"

-Paulo Coelho

No comments:

Post a Comment