Monday 3 June 2013

365 Day Handstand Challenge :)

365 Day Handstand Challenge :)

Join me in taking part in this 365 day handstand challenge!!!




During my time in India, my friend Tali posted on her facebook page that she was committing herself to a 365 Handstand Challenge set by Lauren Rudick on www.greenbodymind.com

I have cut and paste the article which inspired Tali into my blog below for your reference, as well as the actual link for those of you interested to read further:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8936/the-365-day-handstand-challenge.html

"Today is my birthday. I try not to make a big deal of that. In the past, some of my birthdays were fraught with disappointment. I used to get sad because my expectations of the actions of others on this special day didn't pan out. A forgetful friend, a party with lower than hoped for attendance, not getting flowers from supposed crushes... Silly, but still emotional jabs that would make me feel badly on the big day. Somewhere in recent years, I stopped celebrating. Frankly, my birthday makes me anxious.

As usual, when another year came around, I was filled with tension about where I am in life right now. I felt old. I felt that I should have accomplished more to this point. I felt sad to be single. I felt like many people often feel when they add one more candle to their birthday cake (let's not even get started with the upset that occurred the first time I had to fill out a form and check the next box down from 18-25) having not achieved specific life milestones or rites of passage. 


This year, on my birthday, I've decided to make a change. I realized that I am really young at heart. I have so much to be thankful for, and the people in my life whom I truly love and care for never forget my birthday, even when it's not listed on Facebook. 


So in an effort to keep bringing joy and playfulness into my life every day, in an attempt to maintain my free spirit, I'm taking on a new endeavor: 365 days of handstands. Yup! Every day for the next year of my life I will handstand and snap a photo of it. I'm challenging myself to stay lighthearted for a whole year. I am forcing myself to remember that life is about being in the moment, about constantly finding new perspective and reevaluating. And, of course, about enjoying the flip side. 
Want to join me in getting down with upside down this year? Take the challenge! A handstand a day for a whole year! I'll be posting my photos on Facebook, and Instagram, and you can too! Just follow #handstand365 for updates.


I challenge you, yogis, to come out and play!" 

Sooo....seeing Tali's fun photos, I decided to join her in accepting this challenge, for several reasons. 1) I am traveling so it will provide a reason to send people a photo everyday with the backdrop of where I am; 2) I would love to get better at my personal handstand practice, and what better way than practicing one (or perhaps several lol) a day; 3) It keeps me practicing yoga in some shape and form for the upcoming year, and post India :) I have posted this challenge on both my personal facebook page, instagram, and my Serenity Yoga facebook page. If you haven't already liked my page then please do at this link:  -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Serenity-Yoga/333834576715971?ref=hl

JOIN ME IN THIS CRAZINESS!! IN FACT JOIN US FOR THIS CRAZINESS!! And if handstand isn't for you, then find a yoga pose that works for you, and commit to doing it for 365 days. It can be any pose at all. Remember, the aim of this challenge is to keep us young and energetic and smiling while we celebrate this wonderful life :) 


Here is my first handstand photo to get things started - taken on the roof of the building where the Beatles stayed during their visit to the Maharishi Ashram in Rishikesh, India. 

Join me in this crazy attempt to keep life light and playful. Enjoy <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment