Monday 15 July 2013

Mount Everest Flight :)

Guess what I saw this morning?! MOUNT EVEREST :):):)

An amazing morning flying above the clouds :)


Mount Everest is the Earth's highest mountain, with a peak of 8,848m (29,029 ft) above sea level and is the 5th tallest mountain measured from the centre of the Earth. It is located in the Mahalangur section of the Himalayas. The international border between Nepal and China runs across the precise summit point.

Interesting crazy facts huh?

Yuliya and I met at the airport for our early morning flight from Kathmandu Airport! I had absolutely no idea what to expect from the adventure, and was so excited to bump into Yuliya so we could share it with me.


There was such an exciting vibe going down at the airport with all the climbers there getting ready for either flying to Base Camp to begin their attempt to climb to the top of Mount Everest, or those flying to begin their fabulous trek to Everest Base Camp. Regardless of their destination, the energy was fantastic and made me full of envy that they would be witnessing Everest first hand. I often wondered during the Annapurna Circuit if I had picked the right trek for me, would I have found Everest Base Camp more physically challenging and therefore had a better experience and more of a buzz. But everything for a reason, and if anything then this trip to the airport confirmed that I do need to come back and get to Everest Base Camp in the near future for the experience itself :)


Our plane was teeny tiny and we were so excited to see it.  I stupidly missed the opportunity for a handstand photo in front of it, instead choosing for a photo of me on my feet in front of the little plane - as everyone pointed out to me afterwards LOL! I just love how everyone now expects every photo of me to be on my hands now and sees it as wasted opportunity when I don't take every possible exciting picture! Love the enthusiasm that the handstand 365 challenge has evoked in everyone, not just me and those traveling with me!



We grinned from ear to ear like cheshire cats every single step of the flight.  The view was out of this world exceptional, and that was on a cloudy day. I can't even begin to imagine how those people must feel who are actually climbing it - what an adrenaline rush every single day.



The staff on the plane were fantastic and we were all allowed one at a time to stand in the pilots cock pit and have him show us exactly where Mount Everest was and take photos. They took us around it so that both sides of the plane (1 person only sat each side of the aisle) got to see the range properly and fairly. It was such a special morning. The hour really didn't fly by as I had imagined which was great.



It wasn't cheap, but it was a once in a lifetime experience for me and I am so thrilled that I got to do this while in Kathmandu and that the weather allowed for it.  Especially pleased that I got to share the experience :)


No comments:

Post a Comment