Tuesday 30 July 2013

Hong Kong - Life of Luxury for a Backpacker ;)

Hong Kong - Life of Luxury for a Backpacker ;) 


An afternoon of indulgence in Hong Kong.

God I live for last minute arrangements. It had totally slipped my mind that Lara was in Hong Kong at the moment until literally as I happened to scan through facebook quickly the evening before I was due to fly through HK that I noticed her photo of the beautiful skyline from her apartment. I immediately emailed and asked for advice on how I could fill my 6 hours or so in transit.

The lovely Lara responded to my facebook request to friends about whether a trip into city was viable in 6 hours. She offered to come and meet me in town OR have me come to where she is staying at the moment and hang out by the pool. Which was an offer that was far too good to refuse! So generous of her, and such a luxury thing to be doing on a 6 hour layover after a flight from Kathmandu to Delhi, and Delhi to Hong Kong overnight and with backpack in tow. 


From the moment I landed I loved Hong Kong.  The organization was beyond words, and everywhere you looked everyone moved smoothly and everything worked. The wifi was working from the moment you got off the plane which is such a simple thing but such a luxury for a backpacker letting people  know you arrived safely, and finding out where the hell you are meant to be travelling to next when you realize you forgot to write/print details out.

I walked to the train station and a wonderful woman pointed me in the direction of where I was going, telling me happily “it is so close, so easy for you maam”. It really was, just two stops away and then a walk through a glamorous mall (which made me feel super under dressed lol).



Lara was amazingly generous, she made me fabulous coffee from a real coffee machine as soon as I arrived. Helped me to lose a lot of stuff from my backpack including about 6 books which were probably the reason my back is so damn heavy ;) Then we retreated to the W hotel upstairs and my jaw dropped as we walked through the doors. I was instructed to say nothing so I didn’t give away that I wasn’t supposed to be there. I couldn’t have spoken if I had tried, with the exception of saying WOW anyway!

It was SO wow that Vueve Clique were doing a photo shoot with super skinny young models and handsome young men by one side of the pool. So we sat ourselves down and stared in amazement! 


It felt SO good to have the sun on my skin, and wear a bikini, and have an infinity pool right in front of me with the most spectacular back drop of Hong Kong harbor in front of me. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world right then in that moment. As it if couldn’t get better, Lara suggested cocktails and honestly it has been so long since I have had a cocktail I couldn’t say no. I had a strawberry dacqueri and then proceeded onto a mango one shortly after J Happy days!! She was adorable company, and we sat there as if a single day hadn’t passed between when we had last been face to face (which was in Bermuda in 2011) and today.  We covered so much gossip and stories about life, my travels, her move to Hong Kong, my life plans and ideas, boys, lack of boys, the like lol. I felt like a million dollars for this afternoon of friendship and normalness albeit in a completely unnormal and extravagant environment.  The most wonderful thing about it all was that Lara is so thoughtful that she said she had suggested we meet at hers instead of in town with the sole purpose being to spoil me, and treat the backpacker to some much needed luxury right in the middle of an away from home, away from luxury time in my life. I could have cried I was so extremely grateful. What a girl J  She treated me so generously.  The cocktails flowed, and we had delicious tapas and watched the world go by underneath all the time gossiping away.

Normally days like that, with limited time spans, go so quickly it is scary. However, that particular afternoon went in slow motion and I could have kissed the powers that be for this loveliness once again. I needed that day so, so much and loved and appreciated every single second. 

The lovely Lara walked me to the train station (I was like a walking packhorse….as ever) where I was able to check in for my flight. Another luxury which meant I could travel bag free all the way on the train which was sheer heaven.


What a wonderful surprise of a day J Lara, I honestly can’t thank you enough for this little piece of heaven and your kindness in looking after me. Such generosity. I can’t wait to come back and visit Hong Kong Disney World with you – woohoo!!!!

Love xoxox





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog and thanks for sharing. Koh lanta diving

    ReplyDelete